samick tuning pins

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 07:58:01 -0500

At 06:32 PM 02/05/2000 -0500, you wrote:
<snip>
>I would recommend that you install each string this way and pull it right up
>to pitch as you put it on.  I used to use a common pitch pipe for this.  The
>pitch of each string will drop naturally by more than 1/2 step as you
>continue to work.  You will be in a much better position to do the
subsequent
>pitch raise tuning you must do if you have initially brought each string up
>to pitch as you work.
>Bill Bremmer RPT

This is the first time I have heard anyone recommending pulling a string
up to pitch while restringing. Everything I've ever read or heard recommended
just getting tension on the string, then pulling them to pitch once tension is
established over the whole scale. Not to mention stressing the plate.

Pulling to pitch from the outset could stress the board improperly if you
start
in the high treble and work you way towards the bass. I've been under the
impression
that 'loading the board' with tension is important and one should work from
the
center outwards. I've heard as many chipping procedures as techs who told
them.

My process for restringing which has worked well for me is to start stringing
in
the upper tenor towards the bass and just bring the string tight so the becket
at
this point is shy of12:00. I figure this starts the loading process. Then I go
to the first
treble section, then to the top section, then bass. Once the piano is
strung, I
start
chipping by supporting the wire with a stringing hook and pulling the
becket to
the
1:00 position. Next step is to pull it to 2:00. From there I replace the
action
and
start the final pitch raise and tuning, the becket ends up in the 2:30 to 3:00
position.

I would like to heard more about loading the board and other chipping
techniques.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.