The Professional Impression

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 07:03:38 -0500

David,

I'm not sure what you are referring to as possibly unprofessional.  Do you mean
the vehicle signs?  I agree that appearing professional is a plus, but signs on
the vehicle are a negative only if they are tacky.  In our area it is not
unusual for me to service a piano when no one is home; the client just leaves
the door unlocked for me.  I always feel better if the neighbors know who is
going in that house, which they probably wouldn't if I were driving an unmarked
car.

(About the business license, in our area none is needed other than the PA sales
tax license.)

I use very nicely done magnetic signs.  Since I do not want to buy a separate
vehicle just for piano work, my business vehicle is also the family car.  I
have had people express mild surprise when they learned the signs are magnetic.

Now to broaden the subject a little, I've looked around the parking lot at some
conventions.  On occasion a piano service vehicle shows rust or damage or the
need for repair or a new paint job.  I recognize that not all of us can afford
to, or care to, drive snazzy late-model vehicles, but it is to anyone's credit
to keep the vehicle clean and looking nice, regardless of its age.  That's my
take.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT