stringing supplies

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 06 Feb 2000 21:54:52 -0500

Terry,

I have a micrometer, but for measuring plain wire I usually revert to a wheel-shaped music wire gauge (#342, new Schaff catalog, p. 59).  It's not quite as exact, though, since it doesn't show half-sizes, if my memory serves me correctly.

In addition to keeping plain music wire sizes 13-20, already mentioned by someone else, I keep a complete set of universal replacement strings (Schaff, pp. 76-77).  I really don't like these very much, but they are less expensive than ordering custom-made replacements if you are doing a repair on a piano of lesser value.  A universal replacement string can also be used on a better piano if you are really caught in an emergency, but it
should be replaced later with a better string.  You can buy as a whole set the first time, then just buy single string replacements as you use them.

If you go this direction, buy also the "universal bass string and tuning pin gauge" (#344, Schaff, p. 59).

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger