Ghosting

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 21:41:52 EST

In a message dated 2/6/00 12:38:51 PM Pacific Standard Time, pjenkin@gwi.net
writes:

<< Thanks for the reply on ghosting.
 I was shown (briefly) how to use this technique in the bass, as a check.  I
 didn't take very good notes, and have since totally lost the explanation.
 I have looked in the tuning material I have on hand, and found nothing.
 Can anyone help with either another explanation or a good written source?
 thanks again.
 Pam Jenkins >>

This is not a technique I use but some people swear by it.  It's worth while
trying it to see if it suits your style.  When you are trying to tune an
interval in the bass, C1 from C2, for example, your ear will hear all of the
partials from both notes.  If you have decided that you want to tune a 6:3
octave, which would probably be a good choice, hold down the keys C1 and C2
without sounding them.  (You can hold them open with the Sostenuto pedal if
the piano has one and it is working properly).

Now strike but do not hold the note C4 which is the coincident partial for
those two notes and that kind of octave.  You will hear a resonance from both
of the strings which are open.  If you want that interval to be a perfect 6:3
octave, tune the lower note until the resonance you hear is steady with no
beat.  You can also compare other coincident partials.  This is a very clear
aural demonstration that proves that when one set of partials match, all
others are slightly off.

Sometimes very low bass strings are ambiguous about whether they are right or
not because there are so many audible partials and so many mismatches.  Using
the Ghosting technique can be a way to sort things out and make the best
compromise.  Sometimes Electronic tuners can make a very large error because
the ETD has focused on a strong partial that is more apt to be identified
with a note a full step lower.

If you read what Virgil Smith RPT says about tuning, you always listen to the
"whole" sound, as he puts it.  When I tune these low bass notes, that is what
I do.  There is a rich array of audible partials and I simply find the spot
where the octave sounds the most in tune.  I would recommend doing the same,
but using the Ghosting technique to prove that you have the best compromise
among several sets of audible partials.

Hope this helps,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin