Restore 1900 Stieff Upright?

Tue, 1 Feb 2000 19:19:35 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Currie <c.currie@ieee.org>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 01, 2000 1:20 PM
Subject: Restore 1900 Stieff Upright?

> Some questions in this vein:
>
> *  Are there new parts available that can approximate the old ones?

Usually

> *  What can one do about "legacy systems," for lack of a better term, that
> are no longer put in pianos?  I'm thinking especially of the lost-motion
> compensation apparatus on our Stieff, which seems to be mostly missing.

Depends on what is missing.  Obviously, replacement parts are not available.
Sometimes a good, innovative rebuilder can either fabricate replacement
parts or can come up with some kind of work-around.  Ask your rebuilder.

> *  Do you need to find a tech with special experience and skills in old
> Stieffs, or at least old pianos, so that they'll understand and
successfully
> repair the antique action to the character of the original?  Or should any
> good tech be able to do the job?

It is not likely that you'll find anyone who has specialized in old Stieff
pianos.  Any competent rebuilder will be able to do the job.

> *  What about the case?  Is it best to leave it alone (as antique dealers
> would recommend for original "black" finishes), or can it/should it be
> refinished (assuming we could even afford this)?

Do whatever you want with it.  The piano has no 'antique' value, so your
preference is what matters.

> *  I understand that many old uprights just simply aren't worth restoring,
> or simply can't be.  Do you think a 1900 Stieff is a promising candidate
for
> such a project?

You are going to get a bunch of advice on how to trash this piano.  I take a
different view.  It will probably cost you between $6,000 and $12,000 to
rebuild/remanufacture this piano.  And, no, you won't be able to sell it for
that much when you are finished.  On the other hand, the $12,000 will get
you a basically new action, pinblock inserts, a new soundboard and possibly
new bridges, a new stringing scale, etc.  Where else will you be able to get
a piano that will play and sound as good as this old piano for that kind of
money?

Depends on what you want when you are through.  Are you trying to make money
on re-selling the piano after the work is done?  Or do you want a musical
instrument.

Check with a local technician who can examine the piano in person and
explain just what you will have when you are through and what it will cost
you to get it there.  Then decide.

Good luck,

Del
Delwin D Fandrich