Dampp Chaser or not, that is that question!

Woodrow, John (Parramatta) John.Woodrow@pil.com.au
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 08:30:08 +1000

Ed and List,
Thanks for the feedback.  As the couple of responses to this question on the
list, plus other techs that I have discussed this with have been so varied I
am determined to 'get to the bottom of this issue' so please bear with me.

To your questions:
>Was the piano stable?  did the tuning vary with the seasons? How much?
There is little movement between seasons, however minor fluctuations between
a dry 'period' of say 5 days or so at 55% RH and 'normal' weather of say 80%
RH.  Enough to make an RCT spinner move from full blush to just outside the
circle.

>I would, just on first reading, suggest that you not worry about the
climate
>control.  If it is only swinging from 60 to 80% I don't think a control
>system is going to make a big improvement.

It was more a question of prolonging the life of the soundboard rather than
tuning stability.  As I mentioned in the original post, the board has minor
pressure ridges.  As my thinking is that this is probably due to the high
humidity environment, would a DC stop any further damage.

>How tight are the pins? Over 140 in/lbs?
I haven't got a torque wrench, but if a tuning hammer extended about 2
inches with a decent flex in it to move a high treble pin is over 140in/lbs
(which I guess it is) the answer is yes.

Regards,
John Woodrow

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 05:44:17 EST
From: A440A@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Dampp Chaser or not, that is that question!

 John writes:

>The piano is now located in a room that the humidity swings from 60% to
>80%. On occasions it dips briefly to 50% on very 'dry' days.
>
>So my question to the list is do I:
>(a) install a DC de-humidifier (tropical version which is set at 55% or
>so I believe), or
>(b) because the piano has lived in a high humidity environment all its
>life and settled into that groove just leave it alone.

Greetings,
    Was the piano stable?  did the tuning vary with the seasons? How much?
I would, just on first reading, suggest that you not worry about the climate

control.  If it is only swinging from 60 to 80% I don't think a control
system is going to make a big improvement.  If the strings are rusty, a
string cover would be a good idea on the new set.  How tight are the pins?
Over 140 in/lbs?
Regards,
Ed Foote