New Ivory Key tops for sale

Steve Grattan lostchordclinic@ameritech.net
Tue, 01 Feb 2000 16:47:43 -0500

Jonathan Adams wrote:

> List,
>
> What would be the procedure for importing ivory into Canada anyway?  I am
> not actually planning to do this in the near future, but wonder how much
> red tape it would require.  I have heard it can even be difficult to import
> an old piano from the US.
>
> Stacy Adams
> PTG Associate Member.
>
> ----------
> > From: Brian Lawson <lawsonic@global.co.za>
> > To: pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
> > Subject: New Ivory Key tops for sale
> > Date: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 10:10 AM
> >
> > Hi, the dealer which I do work for has bought a limited amount of
> ex-stock
> > of new ivory keytops; fronts, tails and whole lenghts. He has them, as
> yet
> > unsorted into actual number of sets but asked me if anyone on the list is
> > interested.
> >
> > He is willing to sell some, either fronts, tails, no minimum order and as
> > yet no set price, but you have to make a reasonable offer and would have
> > pay postage/freight from South Africa
> >

> > Please email me privately and I will pass on your enquiry.
> >

> > Brian Lawson
> > PTG Assc, MPT.
> > Johannesburg, South Africa

Stacy,

>From my experience, there is no way to lawfully import ivory into
Canada.  You are correct in saying that it is difficult to import an old
piano to Canada from the US - unless you don't need the keys (or
keytops).  When I have been involved with taking an old piano across - I
peel off the ivory and then there is no problem.  I only do this is the
ivory is bad and not worth saving.

Steve Grattan