computing partial frequencies

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 01 Feb 2000 22:43:11 +0100

Conklin gives the following:

I (sub n) = (600/ln2)ln[1+(n^2 pi^2 Ed(sub c)^2)/ (64L^4 f^2 p(sub c) F] cents

here..
    n = partial number
    E= Youngs Modulus
    d (sub c)= diameter of plain string or core of wrapped string
    L=speaking length
    f=frequency in Hz
    p(sub c) = density of plain string or of core wire of a wrapped string
    F= loading factor for a wrapped string (= 1 for a plain string)

and of course I (sub n) is the Inharmonicity of the nth note.

Alternatively he also gives an approximation formular

I (sub n) ~ bn^2, where b 0 (600/ln2) (pi^2 Ed(sub c)^2) / (64L^4 f^2 p(sub
c)F)

He notes that stiffness due to wrapping is ignored in both of these.

Hope this is of use to you. At the end of his article series "Design and tone
in the mechanoacoustic piano" you will find a load of such formular and
definitions.

--
Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.