ringing dampers

Roger C Hayden rchayden2@juno.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 20:39:20 -0800

I have on occasion discovered that the damper guide rail worked loose,
causing the dampers to not align perfectly with the strings, result,
leakage.

Also, a 1 inch needle in the end of a 8 or 9 inch piece of 1/4 inch dowel
can be a godsend.  Poke it into the felt parallel to the string that
won't damp, it fluffs the felt and sometimes stops the leak.  Very easy
fix.  Also, you can poke it into the felt and lever the damper felt
internally a bit, getting better contact with the string.

On old uprights I simply move the out side string that isn't damping a
little closer to the other two.  Better contact with the felt, and
leaking stopped.  (Retune and voice as needed. . .  . )

Roger Hayden, RPT