Decibel Levels

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:45:55 -0500

A couple old posts from my personal archives follow. Hope they help. Sorry I
don't have dB numbers for you, but I know what you mean about finding a note
or two around the tenor/treble break on a vertical. It can really really
rattle your cage.....er, a, your eardrum! I recall a post back about last
September and someone posted dB values for a piano. They were high. When one
is close, up into the ear-damaging region. Most of the time I don't feel
that I need earplugs, but for the few times...........  I find I get myself
into trouble when I do the top secion on a grand and I move around to the
side of the piano and I tend to lean way over the soundboard to reach my
hammer, mutes, and SAT - actually a very comfy and piano-intimate posture,
but hard on the ears! I do need to get plugs.