When to do it

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 12:52:44 -0600

><<"The
>balance rail would have to move quite a bit for it to effect the capstan to
>the point that it creates, or eliminates lost motion. Or am I missing
>something?">>
>
>Yep sho be doin jus dat. :-)
>
>a very small change in balance rail height will have an effect on hammer
>setting. Try putting a very small amount of regulating punchings under a well
>regulated hammer line and see what that does to the hammer line. I believe
>you will find that as balance rail height rises the hammers will rise also
>and as balance rail height goes down the hammer line will fall. On a properly
>set grand this will result in a change in hammer line height...but on a
>vertical it very often leads to lost motion or to hammers standing off of the
>hammer rest rail......generally speaking, of course. :-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

The further the capstan is from the back rail cloth contact point, the more
difference in capstan height will be seen with balance rail height changes.
It's pretty dramatic in grands, and pretty minimal in verticals. I would
find it hard to imagine a change in a vertical's balance rail height big
enough to necessitate capstan regulation, not being immediately noticeable
in key dip changes, even for a foot-handed clod like me. Of course, I'm
occasionally mistaken at ever shortening intervals.

Wim,  (this is NOT a trap - honest <G>) did you notice any such key dip
changes when you were pastafazizing after tuning? That would qualify as a
measurement clue.

Ron N