Prepping new pianos

Rob Kiddell atonal@telusplanet.net
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 12:02:09 -0700

Avery wrote:

> my university job, I don't really have the time to do a lot of that
kind
> of work. Most of my time there is spent prepping new Baldwin's,
> Wurlitzer's and Yamaha's. Plus some tuning. <snip>

And Rob replies,

Hi Avery! I work at a Baldwin dealership, and lately it seems that
I've been having a lot of problems with new Wurlitzer (Samick)
grands. Two specific problem areas:

1) sluggish jack centres that result in a non-returning jack, but only
after about a half-hour of continous playing. I replace the offending
pins, which are invariably tight in the flange and loose in the
birdseye. Not easy to spot during floor prep - do you experience
this and have appropriate early detection remedies?

and 2)

@#$%@#$% dampers that hang up into space. Again, they
usually manifest themselves once in the field. They are usually just
brushing one side of the guide rail bushing, and a gentle wire bend
accompianied with guide rail bushing reaming cures it. However,
any preventatitive preparation techniques would be appreciated.

Happy non-denominational winter festivities.

Regards,

Rob Kiddell RPT
Atonal Piano Service
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/atonal/