My EPD

Johan Ola Andersson pianola@online.no
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 21:10:51 +0100

First, I don't like Lute fisk either

Secondly
Sorry for a late response

  I have an off line question from one of our=20
  European contributors that ties into it.  I have been thinking about =
how to=20
  answer him for quite a while but didn't know exactly where to begin.  =
Here is=20
  the question:=20

  "I use alot of impact technic that I seen Jim Coleman do on a video.=20
  I think it's Ok to pull up the string with a impact way and then "push =
the=20
  pin and hit the key" it down if it didn't sit where I wanted the first =
time.=20
  This works well on most pianos but I have trouble with a few brands.=20
  [My teacher] wants me to learn to tune the usually way and I suppose =
he's=20
  right about that.=20
  The problem is I find it difficult to control the pin by pushing it =
up"=20

  I'm sure there are and will be differing opinions about this but I =
have had=20
  these same experiences too.  For the first 10 years I tuned, I used a =
slow=20
  pull type technique.  Then, I attended my first convention in =
Minneapolis in=20
  1979.  There, I saw the late George Defebaugh RPT and Jim Coleman =
RPT's=20
  lecture on tuning.  Although I have never see the video spoken of, I =
assume=20
  it teaches essentially the same techniques I saw back then.=20

  I went home from that Convention and put into practice the things I =
learned=20
  and by doing so, reduced the time it took me to tune by a very =
significant=20
  amount and increased my skill level from far below RPT standards to =
high=20
  enough to Qualify as an Examiner Trainee in just two years.  The two =
most=20
  important elements were the Pitch Raising Technique and the Hammer =
Technique.=20

  Even today, I can try to tell other technicians what I learned then, =
as=20
  George put it, "You can tune a piano twice, much faster and easier =
than you=20
  can fight with it once" but I still see many who struggle, grunt and =
groan=20
  their way through a two hour or more tuning that ends up quite =
inaccurate and=20
  unstable.  When the customer is told after that ordeal, "I'll have to =
do it=20
  over again in two weeks", the decision is usually made to try someone =
else=20
  next time...........................................=20

  Good luck,=20
   =20
  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20

Thanks for giving me your time Bill Bremmer.=20
Jim Coleman has this on a Video called Aural and visual tunings On the =
same Video George Defague also shows his temprement that Martin Store =
had the beginning of. On this Video Jim and George also explains =
partials (if i remember right). the Videos costs only $25  Take contact =
with Jim at pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu and he helps them who be intrested.=20

I have the same experince as Bill about Jims and George pitchraising =
techniques. I can pitchraise and fine tune a piano in the same day and =
some times I do a rough tuning in between. The tunings in the shop sits =
well  and I can't hear on the pianos  witch one was pitchraised or not. =
Therefore I have difficults with asking the costumer for an extra tuning =
when I need to pitchraise. The prosedure with pitchraising takes me 20 =
minutes. I also sometimes pitchraise the piano in a wholescale so I get =
the pins in a line as Bill Bremmer earlier has mentioned on the list. It =
is also normal in Norway to take an extra appointment when the piano =
needs pitchraising. I`ve never done that.

About my impact technic. I think I have to perfect the normal way of =
tuning a piano first so I have something to compare with. I don't trust =
the impact technique 100% because it sometimes fools me and I think the =
hammertechnique Richard Brekne learns me works better for me now. But =
for pitchraising I use the impact technique.=20
=20
My EPD (Electronic Pitchraising Device)
So how do I know how much to pitchraise? I have a cromatic guitartuner =
(EPD) that shows me were the pitch is and then I raise the note about a =
third above of what it was low. This goes very fast. The tuner is not =
precice enough but instead it is  very fast and it finds the note =
itself, I don't neeed to push any button. My "EPD"tuner has also has a =
light arrangement that shows me if I am 5, 10, 15 or 20 cents off.  So =
It is enough to look at the lights. I can also do a rough tuning with =
it. It doesn't hear the last 1.5 octaves in the ends but there I tune =
narrow octavs (by ear) because the piano doesn't move alot in the end of =
the Soundboard. This tuner from china costs $30. I can also use it to =
show a costumer that the piano is very much out of tune. I use it even =
if I have an ETD at the shop because it is faster and it pitchraise the =
piano as it has dropped..

Merry Christmas

Ola Andersson