Snappy Baldwin blocks

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 11:05:12 EST

 >> All modern Baldwin Grands are known for their tight and cracking tuning
>> pins.
>  Could it be that 50/50 glue and wood doesn't make the best pin block
> material?

Greetings,
    I don't think it is the glue,  I think it is the crude approach to
production tolerances.  Baldwin doesn't want to have warranty problems with
loose pins, so they make them so tight, with such a dense block, that
looseness is not a problem.  This is, imho, a very thick-headed way to
approach the issue.  There is absolutely no reason to pin a block for 175-200
in/lbs, unless production tolerances cannot be trusted.  With their
"composite" blocks, age doesn't seem to soften the torque, either.
    I no longer accept Baldwins in my clientele for this reason,(arthitis in
the wrist makes this a no-brainer) and I am fortunate enough to have more
than I can do without them.  However, in the past, I did have reason to deal
with one, and fuzzy unisons were not an acceptable answer. The response I
tried was to remove the coils, back the pins all the way out, and then hammer
them back in.  It brought the torque down from an average of 150 to about
120!  They still wanted to jump around some, though.
     Anybody can pin a pinblock so that it will always be tight, but a more
artistic and craftsmanlike approach is to pin it so that it will always be
adequately tight, and also easy to tune.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT