straws, anyone?

Barrie Heaton Piano@a440.co.uk
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 12:04:26 +0000

Dear All,

Replacing a shank with a new one is no big deal of a job in my book.
Where _I may_ consider a straw  a _temporary_  fix, would be on a grand
when a suitable shank is not at hand. However, with upright shanks I
carry 4.5mm and 5mm shanks in may case, so there is no need to use
straws, the tool and the materials to do the job correctly  are not hard
to get hold of, or carry around with you.

Just  because it makes the job quicker does not make the straw short cut
a legitimate repair.  Where do you draw the line - would we be saying
next, I only tune the unisons on this type of piano because it's quicker
then laying a scale, and tuning octaves,  because this client will not
notice the difference on this make.

Alternatives to the normal approach should be tried. However, when the
normal repair is simple, cheep and not over time consuming as in this
case; then in my opinion  a new shank is the repair that should be
employed. There is also the acoustic side of the material  to consider.

Wishing you all a nice, peaceful  Holiday,  whatever reason you choose
to celebrate, or do.

Kind Regards

Barrie,
--