Missing bridge pins

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:07:54 -0500

At 12:40 AM 12/22/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Friends and Collegues,
>
>Today I tuned a Wurlitzer Console (the 2nd of a 4 tunings-3 including pitch
>raises). When I got to C# 5 at the break, the pitch was at zero. After
>bringing it to pitch I found wield false beats. Thinking it had to be a
>problem at the termination point, I removed the knee board and found the top
>3 bridge pins missing and the bore split. The notch above is also split out.
>
>I checked the piano over to see if there was any more notes like this, but
>there were non. The C#5 at the break is next to the plate struts.
>
>I thought of routing it out and replace with a piece of hard maple stock but
>the strut makes it difficult to get a router in place. I am not sure I can
>chisel it out cleanly.
>
>What do you recommend? How much time should I estimate?

Drill for a plug made from pin block material. Epoxy in place, level to the
surface,
drill new pin holes and reshape the notch.

I have used pin block stock for many upright caps and bodies with no problems,
so these plugs should not be a concern.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.