SV: Research: leather covered hammers

Johan Ola Andersson pianola@online.no
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:17:12 +0100

>The problem now is that the domestic sheep from which skins are
>obtained in modern times have been selectively bred to the point that the
>skin layers are now different from those of historical sheepskin. So, even if
>you follow the old tanning recipe, you will not get leather of the same physical
>properties as the old hammer leather, using a sheepskin.

> Stephen
>
> Stephen Birkett Fortepianos

In Norway and Iceland you can still find the old sheep breeds the Vikings used.
On Iceland they have not imported sheeps in 1000years!
The Icelandic sheep still have the wool sailmakers want for making old kind of wool sails that doesn't take water.
You can use an Icelandic wool sweaters in the rain like you could in the old days because it doesn't take water, so the skin has to be old style to. The sheeps has to have good skin there to survive in the mountains.

We have also Reindeer (and Deer) and they are living wild so they bred as they like.

As for tanning I'm sure I can find a tanner using old technic.
If I don't there has to be somebody in Ireland.
It could also be cheaper to do it in Ireland.
They may also have old breeds of sheep.

Do you want me to find information about this and how much skin do you need for a set of hammers?

Iceland also have the best New year Firework in the whole world.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody

Ola Andersson
Bergen, Norway