Superglue and Agraffes?

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:45:14 -0600

I have used epoxy when in a bind when the stem was intact but stripped, but
not superglue.  It'd be fun to try it and blame it on the Mfgr if it gives
way.  That's how most unorthodox techniques are born....

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Carol Beigel
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2000 11:08 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Superglue and Agraffes?

I need to know if I'm just becoming old and cranky, or is there really
something valid about temporarily repairing a broken agraffe with superglue.
  A brand new baby grand piano had just been uncrated when I  noticed the
agraffe (three hole) on the second tenor unison had sheared off at the
plate.  Immediately the manufacturer was called and they sent a new agraffe
- however they sent the wrong size.  This wasn't discovered though, until I
had already cut 4 wires and extracted the piece still remaining in the
plate.  They claimed they were out of stock on the correct size agraffe, and
that I should just superglue the old one together!  I was absolutely
shocked!

I threatened to send the piano back if a proper size part didn't arrive in a
timely fashion.  I have heard of many marvelous repairs that superglue can
be used for, but is this one of them?

Carol Beigel