Research:leather covered hammers

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 13:16:14 -0600

At 9:49 AM -0700 12/17/00, Murray Seminuk wrote:

>The original leather on the hammers was European
>doeskin........etc.

Murray is right, and the best leather I've used is from Herzog in
Germany, I believe called hirsch and elsch, correct me if I'm wrong.
Stretch and thickness are important as is consistency in flesh vs
skin side. Do not use American supply house buckskin, it's too coarse
and heavy. I think that Jahn will supply what they call hammer
leather which comes from Herzog and should be better than the
American stuff. I dont think anything currently made (and there are
those much more knowledgable than me who can add to this Im sure) is
even close to what you actually find on old pianos, the whole leather
making process is so different now. It is fairly easy to  use, just
common sense, consistency and a careful hand. Malcolm Bilson had a
blue suede on his piano hammers for some time that was very
successful, so experimenting can be fun. Just use hide glue so you
can recover from any mistakes.

--
Dave

Dave Doremus RPT