Questions

Walter Gramza gramza@net.bluemoon.net
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 11:15:30 -0500

Hi Jim,
I most always with a few acceptions replace the under string felt when
restringing.  As I string,  I space the strings with the regular string
spacer and pull them tight that is relatively close to where they need to
be.   I string with the upright piano tipped over on the tipper starting
with the treble always working from left to right.  This leaves the right
side opened to adequately lift coils and level pins as I go.  In the case
of the grand,  I begin in themiddle section again working from left to
right lifting coils and leveling pins as I proceed throughout the treble.
I then work from left to right in the bass as well.   I have found that
this method is an excellent way to work to be able to get your tools into
your coils for lifting and setting and leveling tuningpins.  I do my final
spacing with the action in the piano aliging the strings to the hammers.
I learned to string in the  above method as described from my teacher.