Questions

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 05:35:56 EST

Jim asks:
<<>...is there some
>type of jig that can be made so you know exactly where the new strings
>will go? Usually, I line them up with the grooves in the old hammers,
>maybe a jig would be better.>>

Greetings,
   I use a jig.  It is a piece of soundboard shim which I lay across the
strings, even with the belly rail, indexing it to a plate strut so I can put
it back in the original position.  Then I use a pencil to make a mark where
every string passes under.  When restringing, I just get all the strings in,
pulled up enough to keep coils tight, and then align them to the marks on the
shim.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT