What is and what is not a piano tuner (was Re: The FinalResult)

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:44:35 -0600

>kam544@flash.net wrote:
>...My definition, in its temporary briefest
>> context...Someone who is actively tuning pianos and leaving them in a
>>reasonable
>> tuned state and choosing to use whatever method of operation to accomplish
>> such an act.
>
>That, my freind is very close to the same thing, the only qualifier being
>that the
>person has learned how to operate a tuning machine and set tuning pins. If
>thats
>what the person can do, and nothing else... then that person qualifies as
>a piano
>tuner by your definition...
>Richard Brekne

Yes, in its essence.

>...I dont personally give a darn what they call themselves. But if they
>want to be
>accredited then they have to prove themselves, and they cant do this by
>use of an
>ETD alone. Thats what this is discussion is about...

No, Richard, that's what your discussion was about.  My position was never
about that.  I was addressing the numerous individuals throughout the world
who do succeed in accomplishing reasonable, stable piano tunings on a daily
basis, that do receive compensation for such activity, that do satisfy
their customers, that are not members of, or affiliated with, the Piano
Technicians Guild (PTG), that are piano tuners.  That's all.

And something else came to me today that turned out to be quite an
interesting insight.  Maybe it might be the same for you and/or for some
others on the List.

What were we, you and I, and every other Registered Piano Technician just
prior to taking and passing the Piano Technicians Guild tuning exam?  For
myself I must confess I was a piano tuner long before the tuning test
confirmed what I already knew and declared myself to be, otherwise, I would
never have taken it.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731