Last octave/stretching, etc.

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:20:28 +0000

Greetings,

Once I was tuning for a jazz pianist.

He told me he liked the way *my father* tunes, that the treble is stretched
somewhat.
Well, great, I thought.
This was after I tuned the grand, naturally.  I told him to try it out.  He
did, and he liked it very very much.
Great, the thing is that I don´t stretch nearly as much as my father.

Just goes to show how much they really know.

He also told me he had played a gig where he told the "tuner", that he
liked his treble really stretched.
Apparently this tuner guy wasn´t much of a tuner, and the piano sounded
really strange afterwards.

He must have taken it really literally that poor guy.  What a joke.
One thing I´ve learned is to take things the musicians say with a grain of
salt at first, not literally, then think about it, and transcribe it into a
tuning the way it actually makes, well, at least a teensy bit of sense.

And if you are planning on writing and objecting to my ignoring the needs
of musicians (and of being a con), please read it again and take it easy.

Best regards,

Kristinn Leifsson,
Reykjavík, Iceland