Clean up?

Dick Beaton rbeaton@initco.net
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:30:50 -0800

CLEANING
There is a tech in Seattle named Wm J. Smith who demonstrated a good =
method of cleaning tuning pin area.
Spray foam rug cleaner all over the area.  Then with a stiff brush work =
around the area to loosen the dirt. Then place pads of gauze and poke it =
down on top of the pins and with the same brush wiggle it around and =
remove it. You may have to repeat, but it sure works.
Dick RPT MT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2000 3:22 PM
  Subject: Re: Clean up?=20

  At 03:53 PM 12/13/2000 -0600, you wrote:

    Any tips on cleaning around the tuning pin areas of a grand. It's =
slow
    going. I've tried a stiff brush and Naphtha. Also 409 cleaner.. Keep
    coming back to cotton tips and scrubing with Naphtha..=20
    Piano is in my shop, so no customer smell concerns.=20
    Rich=20

  Commercial degreaser available from a hardware store or janitorial =
supply.
  Dilute to your desired strength.

  White Scotch Bright cut into bite-size pieces and secured onto =
forceps.

  With the degreaser in an open container; dunk the S-B and tap excess =
off.
  Fastidiously scrub the area between the pins (have a comfortable =
bench).

  Clean an area or section.

  Remove residue with a similar sized piece of cloth and degreaser in =
the same
  manner, wipe dry with another small, dry piece held in the forceps.

  A good job for the 'new guy'.

  Regards,

  Jon Page,   piano technician
  Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.