"Left the building"

Roy Ulrich ulrich@rangenet.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:10:52 -0600

Dear Maria,

I've been "kind of" watching the threads that you've been involved with =
and have just read your resignation from the "group".

I hope you would reconsider your decision after taking a look at some of =
my thoughts:

I too have come close to unsubscribing in the past after receiving a =
barrage of less than polite messages; I have also been a perpetrator of =
some messages I regret.

The written word between two or more people in the same village can be =
misconstrued so much more easily than the spoken word with it's =
inflections, facial expressions and the like. Take a group of people =
this size and throw in the spice of international diversity with =
different customs, doctrines, and what all, and the soup one is left =
with is, well, interesting.

Wern't you the one who started the "shitty little piano" thing? I loved =
it! Sure, you got some grief and some other misc., but this was not a =
human tragedy in my mind. After the dust settled the thin skinned =
ranters went back into their little caves to wait out the next battle - =
over whatever. Wait long enough and they'll create one.

My best friend is my "delete" button. While I get annoyed over the =
redundancy, (one question about where can I buy felt and there's 88 =
answers), I just omit them from the screen - as I do with the obnoxious =
contributors. My Outlook Express allows me to "block sender" and in some =
cases I'll apply that to someone. You can always undo that later if need =
be.

All in all, in my humble opinion, I relish the communication between =
this group and people like you from the other side of the planet. =
Chances are we'll never meet in person, but because of the unique nature =
of what we do for a living and the ideas, funny stories, techniques, =
even the arguments we share keep me coming back for more.=20

I suggest the bottom line is that we need you and others like you. When =
we commit a faux pax we need to be adult and apologize. At the same time =
when we're insulted, I think some time in reflection and attempting to =
better understand the difficult nature of cross culture communication =
would be a good step in becoming better people.

Heard the expression "throwing the baby out with the bathwater"?=20

How about "sticks and stones...." C'mon back - you really DO have some =
friends in cyberspace.

Roy Ulrich
NE Minnesota