Pin Torque minimum standard?

Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:20:17 +0100

BSimon999@AOL.COM wrote:

>  stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca writes:
>
> <<  I have established 50 in/lbs in the counterclockwise direction as the
> minimum standard
> for pin torque .  Below this and repair is recommended to the client.
> (anyone care to comment on this standard?)         Stan Kroeker >>

Personally I gotta kinda lean toward Stan on this. True enough you run into
pianos that are stable at lower torques then these, but I get the feeling thats
the exception and not the rule. Further pianos that have such low torque readings
usually do so for a reason. And that generally means there are other problems
lurking in the dust.  In any case... I start getting squeemish about tuning a
piano with such low readings, and definatly inform the customer of a pending
problem.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.