what is the best temperament?

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:20:13 +0930

Richard, Kristinn and Maria

Richard,=20
I also am self taught. For two reasons. 1. I am stubborn and wanted to =
learn. 2. Piano Tuners can be stubborn also and refuse to teach you or =
me for fear of competition.  When you have gained enough experience to =
understand what is going on, then they will help you. Well that's been =
my experience anyway.

I got pretty good too, never taken an official test but when your peers =
say 'your good' I accept it.

so far I have tried to teach 5 others to tune, the success rate of 3 out =
of five is because 3 read books first, understood what was happening and =
proved to me that they had the perseverance to learn this most difficult =
profession.

Kirstinn,
When a professional talks to a novice it should be in simple, clear and =
precise terms that can be clearly understood. I don't classify myself as =
a novice and I could not understand some of the comments.

Harsh comments, yes maybe too harsh on a thread I hadn't been following, =
my finger has been hitting the delete button too often because I was =
getting sick of reading about all the side comments of non piano stuff. =
The post as I read it was to me " if your going to be a tuner, learn =
from a pro or just don't bother."  I don't know the financial =
circumstances of the other party so I can't comment. =20

Sure, its quicker to learn from a human but if you can't find one to =
teach you, then you can learn from books. (This is just putting your =
comment around the other way.)

The harshness of the post was because of my bad liver or something or =
someone's cluttering up the list with stupid back and forth chat. Like =
"Puss i ljumsken, (did you puritans know that it means "a kiss in the =
groin" in Swedish but is actually a friendly good-bye?)" etc etc etc. I =
am not a puritan but this whole scene is just garbage. Would you like me =
to count the e-mails that went back and forth over Maria's "shitty" =
word. ? What a waste of time, brain power and eyestrain.

I don't want to scare anyone away but I also don't want anyone else to =
scare prospective piano tuners away either.

Kirstinn, I guess that because I am 63 and you are 20 ? we look at life =
differently. I was brought up in the school of hard knocks and had to =
fight hard for everything I have achieved. You were lucky to have a =
father who tunes pianos and he is lucky to have a son who wanted to be a =
piano tuner.=20

It makes me sad that people don't see eye to eye on everything too, but =
we are of different ages, cultures and upbringing so we have to accept =
that this will happen.

To me this list is for support, encouragement, help, assistance and =
comradeship in the pianotech world and I guess when I see the above not =
being carried out, I get upset. A little or a lot, depending on my =
liver.=20
.

Maria,

Sorry, I may have jumped on you a little too hard. Possibly because you =
have just started your career as a piano tuner, you would be only to =
well aware of all the problems that you encountered, just a short time =
ago when you started learning.
This knowledge is very important to any newbie and should be imparted as =
that. Not as a "professional piano tuner" but as a NEW professional =
piano tuner. To explain your thoughts as to why you said what you said =
would be, in my opinion, a better way to go.

you mentioned in one of your first posts that "As you've already =
noticed, I have just started this career as a pianotuner and =
"pianofixer" and I have wondered about what the heck Im doing....tuning =
and tuning and then some and THIS is just the beginning!=20

To be able to impart your new won knowledge to others is a great gift, =
particularly as you can relate to others in the same age group with =
greater ability.

Regards

Tony Caught ICPTG
Australia