Yamaha pianos

Christopher Witmer cdwitmer@hotmail.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 01:44:10

I just purchased a fancy-dancy digital hygrometer from Fisher Scientific
that measures "everything" you could want to know. I intend to do daily
measurements at various points inside my piano, inside my house, and outside
my house in Tokyo, and keep records for a year. (Of course, there is plenty
of variation from year to year.) Fairly accurate information is available
for different cities in official government publications but I have been too
lazy to go to the library and look it up. I'll get around to it. Actually,
there is a lot of variation within Japan since the archipelago stretches
"from Montreal to Cuba." The northernmost island of Hokkaido does not have a
monsoon climate. Everything south of that does; however, there is a chain of
mountains running north-south through the archipelago splitting everything
into "Japan Sea side climate" and "Pacific Ocean side climate." The former
region has very wet winters, while the latter region has very dry ones. The
overwhelming majority of people in Japan live in a strip along the Pacific
coast from around Tokyo in the north to around Hiroshima in the south. I'd
say you've got about 60 million people in an area the size of southern
California. (The entire land area of Japan is about the same as that of
California.) Most of the pianos are going to be coming from this area, which
is characterized by mild (hovering around the freezing point) but very dry
winters, and extremely humid and hot summers. Tokyo's weather is typical:
1770mm of precipitation annually; of that 500mm falls during the peak of the
typhoon season in September, while only 50mm in the months of December and
January. Most of the other months get around 100mm. Mold and mildew on
pianos is not at all unusual.

Somebody mentioned Yamaha's policy of trying to eradicate pianos after 30
years. I am not up on the details but, while hardly universal, essentially
that seems to be the case. It's a crying shame.

<< I'd like to find out more about the dry cycles in Japan. Laroy Edwards
stated in a convention class that the domestic Yamaha soundboards are
dried down to 10% EMC whereas the US exports are brought down to 6%.
>From that I assumed that the winters there are not as dry as parts of
the US. And judging by the brown mold on the insides of some of the gray
market Yamahas, I can believe about the high humidity. >>

Tom Cole

Christopher Witmer wrote:

 > Admittedly, the more arid parts of the USA can get dryer than Japan, but
 > you'd be surprised how dry Japan can get in the winter, when there may
 > be zero precipitation for a few months. In both countries, depending on
 > how people heat their homes in winter, the piano can be subject to
 > desert-like dryness. Japan's alternation between moderately cold, very
 > dry winters and obscenely humid summers is a characteristic not found in
 > much of the USA though.
 >
 > Tom Cole wrote:
 > >
 > > David Love wrote:
 > > >
 > > > Anybody have any information on the difference between Yamaha pianos
built
 > > > in Japan for Japanese distribution versus ones for US distribution.
I have