Home Alone

William J Schlipf wjstuner@juno.com
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:43:33 -0600

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:41:53 -0500 "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
writes:
> Sometimes when tuning in a private home, the owner says - "Gee, I
> gotta go
> out and ......  Do you mind locking the door on your way out?" Or
> sometimes
> a long-time client says that they can't be home, but they will leave
> the key
> under the door. "Just let yourself in dear, the check will be on the
> piano".

Terry,  I do this all the time.  So many families have 2 people that work
or this person is divorced, that it is sometimes a necessity.

> But how about the guy that calls you - you've never heard of, met,
> seen this
> guy in your life - tells you he wants the piano tuned as a present
> for his
> wife, he can't be home, but the key is in the barbie on the back
> porch
> (check will be left with key).

I only get this offer when it has been a referal form another long-time
customer.  Under any other condition I refuse to go alone the first time
in someone's home.

> Has anyone ever had a bad experience with any of these scenarios?
> The last
> one I did today - first time. I did not feel entirely comfortable
> with the
> circumstances. Seemed OK though in the end.

Never had one bad experience.  I have regular customers that will leave
me a signed blank check to make sure I'm paid.

> Terry Farrell
> Piano Tuning & Service
> Tampa, Florida
> mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com