west going hard too fast

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:45:03 -0500

I'm not John, but I think I know the answer! Fairing compound is used to =
"fair" a surface. The most common application is on a boat hull or a car =
fender where bumps dents and/or waves occur in the surface. The surface =
is roughened up, the epoxy mixed with suitable fairing filler is =
troweled on and smoothed out. After cure, surface is sanded and you can =
get a nice "fair" or smooth surface. Ever see a piano refinished in a hi =
gloss ebony that had no business being refinished in hi-gloss (you know =
the ones with all the waves and squiggles in the surface that make the =
hi-gloss look like.....oops, we all know the word!). That surface should =
have been faired prior to finishing. Proper fairing will lead to a =
surface that can look better than most new pianos.

http://www.westsystem.com/ lists all their fillers and fairing =
compounds. I have used their microballoons extensively. These are tiny =
hollow spheres. You mix it with the epoxy, spread it out, and it sands =
real easy. After sanding coat with unthickened epoxy. Proper fairing to =
get a really flat surface requires a LARGE sanding jig. I made a very =
flat sanding block out of a piece of 60" by 6" by 3/4" poplar backed =
with a lattice of red oak. To this I attach a 72" sanding belt (I have =
belts in 40, 60, and 80 grit). Sanding with a big sander like this will =
get you that nice flat surface.

I made my regulating table out of an inverted spinet. I screwed a few =
oak & hard maple boards to the back, extended the legs (keybed and feet) =
and "faired" the top. Came out super flat. Now if only keybeds were =
flat!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida