what is the best temperament?

Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:34:39 -0600

Sisu, Martin!

At 17:51 12/11/2000 +0200, you wrote:
>Iīm new to the list.
>
>how many different temperations are there??? and what are the best ways of
>doing them?
>i donīt know what temperament to learn. what would be the best one and how
>should i practise?
>im a newbie.
>are there any instructions on how to set a temperament? i know one way of
>doing it but people say that there are better ones...
>
>please help me.,  i wanīt to learn to tune a piano properly!!!

Welcome to the temperament war zone!

There are as many temperaments as you will ever want to attempt.  There are
several excellent books which give tuning instructions for Equal, Meantone
and "Well" temperaments.

There are some on this list who are adament about using the most common
temperament  - 12 tone equal temperament to the exclusion of all others.

There are others on this list who are equally vociferous in their
championing the use of historical temperaments such as Meantone and Well to
the exclusion of all others.

There are those in the middle who see the advantages and disadvantages of
all three general categories of temperaments and use the most appropriate
one for a given situation.

If you have not yet learned more than one temperament, I would suggest that
you try obtaining a copy of one of the Owen Jorgensen books through your
library.  There are other sources for temperament instructions, however,
including several members of this list.

My prejudice is that I am an aural tuner, but even if you plan to use an
electronic tuning device, I would advise that you first learn aural tuning.

(Pre-first - find a mentor.)

First, learn to tune Pythagorean tuning.  This will teach you to recognise
a pure Fourth (IV) and pure (V) and where to listen for beats.  The unison
is also a pure interval - learn to recognise it!  You will also learn very
quickly what "false" beats are...  ;-{

Then learn a couple of meantone schemes.  This will reinforce your V and IV
recognition and add pure major third (M3) and perhaps even some pure minor
thirds (m3). It will introduce you to "tempering", which is the controlled
mistuning of intervals.  Since you will then know what pure sounds are, you
will more easily recognise the "out-of-tuneness" of tempering.

Proceed to learn a couple of "well" temperaments.  This will go further in
acquainting your ear to both pure and tempered intervals.

Then, learn equal temperament.  It has NO pure intervals, so is the most
difficult.  You will have all the tools necessary by this point,
however.  You will know what pure intervals are, where to listen for beats,
how to compare beat speeds of two or more intervals and will have been
working on your hammer technique to ensure that what you want, stays.

If you are a pianist and have been experimenting on your own instrument,
keep each temperament on your instrument for at least a week while you play
through all your favorite repetoire.  This will familiarize you with the
idiosyncracies (good and bad) for each temperament.

Patience.   This is not something mastered in two weeks.

My 2.8 cents,
Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

Education is the best defense against the media.