what is the best temperament?

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:22:01 EST

Martin writes:

>i donīt know what temperament to learn. what would be the best one and
>how should i practise?

Greetings,
    There is no one temperament that is the "best" for everything.  Equal
temperament is the most commonly used compromise, but is now being joined by
a wide variety of past methods.

>im a newbie.

   umm,  OK

>are there any instructions on how to set a temperament? i know one way
>of doing it but people say that there are better ones...

   I would suggest that you find a copy of Owen Jorgensen's  "Tuning the
Historical Temperaments by Ear" and listen to a selected few.   There are no
reasons to limit yourself to any single temperament.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT