SAT Mystery

David Ilvedson, RPT ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:00:08 -0800

Hey Conrad,

I wouldn't be without my SAT III...I'm an unreconstructed, unrepenant,
unashamed ETD/Aural tuner.  My reasoning?
#1:  A4...Aurally only, tuned to the fork, then checked with comparison of
beat rates of F3-Fork and F3-A4.  Adjustments made as necessary or close
enough.   With a ETD stop the lights.  Absolutely as accurate or more so
than with the fork and much faster.
#2:  Temperment...Aurally only, nearly all of your initial adjustments are
the "in the ballpark" type while comparisons are made to other intervals.
Then re-adjustments are made to fine tune the temperment.   With the ETD the
ballpark stuff is done very quickly and more accurately without wear and
tear on the ears/brain.  Then the fine work commences with the ear and the
machine.  This fine work will be in 1/10ths of cents from the original ETD
temperment.
#3:   Changes...Aurally only, you find something doesn't sound right as your
progressing in your tuning.  You check a number of intervals to determine
which note has changed.  With the ETD you can chromatically check all the
notes in the section in question quickly to see what the piano is doing and
find the culprit.
#4:  Pitchraises...Aurally only, this is a mini aural tuning with the wear
and tear included.  With an ETD I can put my ears in the tool box if I want.
Wear and tear limited to my arms/fingers.  Why stress out on the slippery
slope?

If you have never played around with an ETD, you don't know what your
missing...

David I.

By the way, can you immediately send me your latest catalog of
Flamesuits...anything Christmasy?