Grand piano design - parallel vs angled strike line?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 09 Dec 2000 13:58:08 -0600

Hi Ron,

I'm far from being a piano designer, but since lack of qualification seldom
prevents speculation on my part, I'll offer some possibles.

As far as action response, perhaps that "crispness" in the treble could be
little more than the geometry inefficiencies resulting from the shorter
keys and wippen heel/capstan intersection height offsetting the lessened
inertial mass of the hammer/shank somewhat. Making it too efficient may
make it feel too "easy" in the top end. Just a thought. Past a certain
point, it gets tough to determine what causes what in tactile perception.
Top and bottom plates would certainly help control key flex in these longer
keys, but I'd wonder that there isn't a considerable difference in feel
resulting in different proportions of mass between the keys and action
parts. For instance, given similar UW and DW,  would a lightly weighted
treble hammer on a long key feel different than a light hammer with
weighted long key, or a shorter key with compromised wippen/capstan contact
height, or a shorter key with optimal W/C with weighted hammer or key?
There are a whole lot of different combinations in varying proportional
degrees that would probably map into a fairly broad perceptual curve if
everything was tried systematically and put together in a cause and effect
chart of sorts. I know a lot of this kind of thing has already been done,
but I don't know how exhaustive the experimentation was, or how one would
find the information. I can't imagine a designer giving even a passing
thought to whether it's easier to reach tuning pins or not. He'll probably
be having enough troubles trying to fit a minimally compromised instrument
into the manufacturer's outlined box. I don't like the increased tuning pin
to counter bearing idea much either, for the reasons you mentioned.

Acoustically, yes, I think there's too much soundboard behind the treble
bridge too. That should be realistically within the designer's area of
choice unless he's working within a manufacturer's existing rim press
and/or plate pattern limitations.

I do think I can make a case for the belly bar dog leg in the treble
though. It's to get the bridge footprint as far away from the rim as
possible within the limitations of the hammer placement, determined by the
V bar and strike point. That's also why treble bridges are undercut, or
beveled along the front of the last couple of octaves. The bridge/V
bar/strike point are in a fixed relationship (theoretically), and the belly
bar position is determined in the design phase to accommodate them. Down
scale a little, it jags back to allow clearance for the dampers, even
though that moves the rim closer to the bridge, it's a less critical
difference because the bridge is far enough away by then that it's doesn't
cause a big change in flexibility. I suspect that's a problem Del has dealt
with extensively in getting dampers far enough up scale to damp the long
sustain trebles in his designs. Bringing the strike line forward in the
treble will bring the whole belly bar closer to the bridge everywhere but
C-8. It's probably not enough to make any real difference in practice but
it does do that.

What's it all mean? I don't have anything like nearly enough information to
draw lines, but I can still speculate. Like you, I'll take any information
and clarification anyone has to offer.

Ron N