[OT] Speaking of "Perfect Pitch" . . .

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 09 Dec 2000 17:19:27 -0500

Christopher,

I think it depends on what facet of ear training we are talking about here.
If one is talking about a pitch *reference,* then a well-tuned piano is as
good as anything.  If you are talking about the students learning to know
how to play/sing in tune, the teacher has to continually cajole them into
paying attention to how they sound in relation to the pitch reference,
whether it be a specific instrument, such as a piano, or the ensemble as a
whole (band, orchestra, chorus, etc.).

As a former high school band/orchestra director there is no question in my
mind that every instrument can be played in tune or out of tune.  It's a
real problem when students assume they will get the note in tune just by
having their fingers in the proper positions.

I see no value in using the violin over other instruments to teach pitch.

Regards, Clyde Hollinger