Tuning an Autoharp

Kevin E. Ramsey RPT ramsey@extremezone.com
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 07:03:58 -0800

    I used to help out at a small music store in California, and I was
always given the job of tuning Autoharps. Usually they are in the 1/2 step
flat range by the time you see them. When you tune them to pitch, they will
drop right back down, which means you have to tune them 2 or 3 times. I had
a Hale Electro-fork which worked great for this, as it gave me an audio
source. Trying to pick up the sound on a SAT was sometimes problematic. If
you use the SAT, it would probably be easiest if you have one of the
external speakers which you give you a tone.
    I found it was best if you first tune an octave in the center of the
harp, and then tune the octaves aurally out from there. Trying to tune
everything to the machine just takes too much time, and is quicker by ear.
If strings break, which they sometimes do, they can be replaced with Guitar
strings in a pinch.
    You can also tune the center octave to the piano, but if it's a spinet,
the piano is going to have alot of stretch. Probably won't matter too much
though. It's realistically going to take about 20 minutes or so.
    Let me know how it turned out after you did it. Good Luck.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 9:49 PM
  Subject: Tuning an Autoharp

  Dear Friends and Collegues,

  This Friday I am tuning one of my regular clients piano. Today she called
and
  asked if I could also tune her autoharp which is 1/2 step flat. I have
never
  tuned one so I am asking for some advice assuming some of you (Wim?) have
  done this before. She has the tool for it.

  1. I would guess it would need a pitch raise. How much harmonic stretch is
  involved if any?

  2. Using my SAT 3 should I perform an FAC stretch or keep it at zero cents
  and tune?

  3. How long should it take?

  4. Should I attempt the job at all? If so, any other hints you can pass
along?

  I am not an autoharp technician (AT) and do not belong to the Autoharp
  Technicians Guild (ATG-if there is such an organization). Your
professional
  advice will be greatly appreciated.

  Dave Peake, RPT
  Portland Chapter