Gas Prices - give me a break!

Thu, 7 Dec 2000 07:03:44 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Goodale" <rrg@nevada.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 06, 2000 4:54 PM
Subject: Gas Prices - give me a break!

> So are we supposed to feel guilty because because of prosperity?

No.

> Will paying
> high gas prices somehow make us feel better about ourselves?

Only if the excess is used to make us less dependent on burning fossil fuels
in the long run by developing more efficient methods of transportation and
by developing alternate energy systems.

> Should we go back
> to the stone age?

If we continue with our collective heads in the sand, this result will be
inevitable.

> Will becoming a third world country somehow make the planet
> a better place to live?

If we continue to ignore the problem, the planet to come will not at all be
a better place to live.  Picture your life next summer without air
conditioning.

> I'll take cheep gas in exchange for prosperity, thank
> you.

I'm reminded of the story of the man who didn't believe in gravity.  To
prove his point, he jumped off of the Empire State Building.  As he passed
each floor on the way down he was heard to say, "So far, so good."

Del