loose hammer heads

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 01:55:48 -0500

Clyde , The real problem in my view ,is that the hammer head is too =
tight on the shank resulting in  only the glue collar holding them =
together. This bond lasts for a while but eventually will fail. Baldwin =
Hamiltons from the 70's were notorious in this regard.  The shank =
reducer in a combo handle makes room for the new  glue and also  cleans  =
the old glue from the shank. I use Titebond on this vintage action. On =
older pianos  that  were assembled with hide glue  , I juice the joint  =
without dissasembly[-action upside down-] with liquid hide glue diluted =
with acetic acid,  { avail. @ photo supply shops}.  Also  works on the =
catchers and jack flange mortises. The CA method described in the =
thinner than the conventional glues and doesn't need as much space to =
create a good bond. As I recall Kawai suggested CA for gluing loose =
wooden catcher shanks into their plastic butts. As for hammer =
replacement concerns and CA, new butts or at least shanks would probably =
need replacing along with the heads making dissasembly  unnecessary .Tom =
Driscoll----- Original Message -----=20
  From: RptBob1@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 10:26 PM
  Subject: Re: loose hammer heads

  In a message dated 12/5/2000 10:02:30 PM Mid-Atlantic Standard Time,=20
  cedel@supernet.com writes:=20

    How would you recommend I reglue these?=20

    In pianos where there are just one or two loose, I generally just =
work=20
    it off and reglue.  Is there danger in breaking the butt or flange =
by=20
    doing this?  I think I've heard of turning the action upside down =
and=20
    using the water-thin CA on the loose ones.  I've never done that.=20
    Advice?=20

    Hi Clyde:=20

    I wouldn't use the CA method (turning upside down, etc.) but would =
pop off=20
    the loose and/or clicking hammers-presuming you have the correct =
tools to=20
    accomplish this.  I would reglue with yellow or white glue.  I feel =
CA=20
    might make it difficult to remove these hammers at some future date =
if you=20
    were to have to hang new hammers, for instance.

  Bob Bergantino,RPT=20
  Willoughby Hills, Ohio=20