Historic Pitch Emergency - Help!

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:38:01 EST

Terry writes:
>a tuning on an 1845

Chickering Grand.

 My concern is appropriate instrument

pitch. My understanding is that A440 was not necessarily the standard back

then. What can be said about the most likely pitch this instrument was

designed for? Isn't this around the time that Chickering introduced the

first full cast-iron plate? Maybe it is close to A440?<<

Greetings,
   I don' think so, but S. Birkett is going to be the real authority here.
Here is another consideration:
  Tune it near where it is !
  It has to be somewhere, and regardless of age, a 30 cent move from where it
is is going to leave an "out of tune" piano.  If it is near 430,  so be it.
Unless you have a fair amount of experience with pianos this old,  I suggest
the safety of the existing pitch.  If it is too low for the performer, then
make sure someone that is responsible for the instrument accepts liability
for any damage that a large pitch change may cause.  As Newton says, CYA ,
first.
Good luck,
Ed Foote RPT

Being a violin teacher, I assume the owner will be pitch sensitive/aware. I

fully understand that a high pitch may not be realistic, depending on the

condition of the piano (I have not seen it - although it is reported to be

"rebuilt"). I am also aware that she may clearly specify exactly what pitch

she wants it tuned to. But I feel the need to have some basic info on the

pitch such an instrument was designed for. Thanks for any input.