Overpull with SAT

Kevin E. Ramsey RPT ramsey@extremezone.com
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:26:00 -0800

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM wrote:

  I believe the overpull is 25% of the 2nd partial. Someone please correct
me
  if I am wrong. (Jim, please pitch in). The SAT 3 is the same. I usually
  measure the lowest note of the plain wire, offset for pitch raise, and
  re-measure every octave or so.  I have no problems with doing a pitch
raise
  using this method.

      Ok, the SAT will indeed give you a 25% overpull, on whatever partial
it is set to for the note you're tuning. but it's designed to pitch raise
from A0 to C88, unisons as you go. The 25% is fine in the plain wire
sections of the piano, but it's too much for the bass. What I do to have the
bass drop right in and stay there is this:  I have the piano stripped off
anyway, so I measure the flatness in the bass on a couple notes, looking
around the bass to find kind of an average. Then I calculate 20% of that.
 That's easy too, I just double the flatness, and move the decimal point one
place to the left. 15 cents flat becomes 30, becomes 3.0 cents)  When I tune
all the strings in the bass, leaving the strip in, then pull out the strip
and pull in the unisons, half the time I have hardly any tuning to do on the
second pass.
      When I get into the treble, I usually go about four notes up from the
break, reset the machine, and start tuning up from the break, unisons as I
go. I DON'T reset the machine again until I get to C5. (When I do, it always
seems that I end up too sharp.)  I'll usually reset again at C6, and C7..
Remember, I'm tuning unisons as I go.
      When I get to about E7, I just tune the center strings on up to the
top. That helps the very top from ending up sharp.
      This always works great for me, is very controllable, and usually gets
me right there. Then I can start my regular tuning, fidgeting, finessing,
etc.

  Kevin E. Ramsey, R.P.T.
  Phoenix, Arizona
  ramsey@extremezone.com