The Meaning of Key Length

David Stanwood dstanwood@hotmail.com
Sat, 02 Dec 2000 03:37:42 -0000

Hi Y'all,

As Ed says Voicing is central also hammer weight.  Overall ratio is
certainly a major consideration especially in Steinways because it varies so
much from piano to piano and the culprit is various key ratios (as Terry
points out) that exist from piano to piano depending on how the plate was
set and the capstan line positioned.  Then there is front weight (Key leads)
and the resulting balance weight and don't foget to factor in friction
weight.  So if all these are the same I suppose we can compare S actions to
D actions.... Whew!

Perhaps a basic difference that always exists is the fact that as you play
further back on the key the ratio increases and the leverage decreases the
closer you get to the balance rail pivot point.  Because the S key is
shorter this change happens more rapidly than on a D and maybe this effects
basic quality.

David C. Stanwood