Variable overpull percentage (was: Finishing where you started)

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 21:48:33 EST

In a message dated 12/1/00 6:50:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
michel_lachance@hotmail.com writes:

> No offense meant Dave and I thank you for straighten things up. I have owed
> a SAT II and I know that the overpull percentage is fixed for that machine
> (20% throughout or so).  If it is different for the SAT III, I beg you to
> update my knowledtge on that respect.
>
> For example, if both strings each side of the tenor break are 10 cents
> flat,
> RCT will raise the wound string by 12% over target pitch, and the lowest
> plain wire string by 32% over target pitch, because practice tells us that
> you need different overpull on those strings for an optimal pitch
> correction.  That's why you have to tell RCT where the lowest plain wire
> note is before you start tuning.  The overpull percentage varies throuhout
> the keyboard (as well as the pitch offsets...) depending of the section of
> the piano, according to statistics made on actual experiments on pitch
> raises.  And you even have the option to change the overpull percentage
> chart if you find that a particular piano reacts differently to an overpull.
>
> So, for the sake of my own education, I would be grateful you tell me what
> the variable overpull percentages are on a SAT III and how you tell the
> machine where the lowest plain wire note is.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michel Lachance, RPT

I believe the overpull is 25% of the 2nd partial. Someone please correct me
if I am wrong. (Jim, please pitch in). The SAT 3 is the same. I usually
measure the lowest note of the plain wire, offset for pitch raise, and
re-measure every octave or so.  I have no problems with doing a pitch raise
using this method.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR