"Prepared Piano"

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:16:38 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/00 2:10:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
lawsonic@bigfoot.com writes:

<< Hi, is anyone familiar with this "piano music"

 "John Cage coined this term in 1938 to describe his internal modifications
 to the standard piano in order to change the sound it produced.  For the
 performance by Liza Joubert, furniture bolts, screws and nuts will be used
 to transform the piano from primarily a melodic instrument into a
 fascinating sound mixture evoking sounds ranging from guitar to Japanese
 percussion instruments.

 Friday, 22nd of September: Liza Joubert on piano. Sonatas and Interludes for
 prepared piano.  A unique opportunity to get to know John Cage's masterwork
 for prepared piano.  The evening will take the form of a
 'lecture/demonstration' with innovative pianist Liza Joubert and piano
 technician Keith Goodwill.  A rare opportunity to hear this composer's work
 performed in South Africa"

 I'll be there to find out for myself

 Brian Lawson, RPT
 Johannesburg, South Africa

I did have the opportunity to listen to one of John Cage's prepared piano
pieces, performed by the composer himself, when I was in college. He came to
the campus and gave the concert and a lecture. He even had a question and
answer period. A question I asked was, Why did he write this music?  He
answered something to the effect that this was his way of expressing himself.

I'm sorry, but I didn't like his expressions. Maybe you, Brian, will find it
more to your liking.

Willem