Reactionary curmudgeon vs: "snuggles"

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:00:53 -0500

>...I seriously doubt that you could get
>the PTG leadership to pass a resolution stating ONLY that "a properly tuned
>piano should be tuned to A440 cps."

Well, Bill S., you rang my bell.  Congratulations!  I seriously doubt
you'll be interested, but it's already been done. (See at end of post)

>...When all things are allowed, when anything you do is all right, there
>IS  NO
>STANDARD! If there is no standard, then how can PTG raise standards of
>practice?
>Bill Simon

I feel you are *greatly* out of touch with reality on this particular
subject.  By the mere choice of introducing the word 'curmudgeon' in
starting this tirade, indicates a malfunctioning chip exists somewhere in
your psyche, and you don't mind admitting it.

The prime movers of the Piano Technicians Guild (PTG) since my initial
contact in 1983 have always endeavored to raise standards of practice in
piano service.  How this has managed to escape your attention indicates a
lack of genuine, active participation, and/or research, into the subject on
your part, and oddly, something which you feel some others are lacking in
one way or another.

Truth is one thing.  Speaking out on what *you* believe to the truth is
another matter altogether.  Speaking out just to stir things up is just
trouble making.  If you don't get the point, I'll understand.  If you do,
then you can let go of the clangor.

Enough said for me.  It's time to do something else, perhaps 'snuggle' up
to a piano.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild
USA

RESOLUTION TO ENCOURAGE THE ESTABLISHMENT OF WORLD-WIDE ACCEPTANCE OF A-440
HERTZ AS STANDARD PITCH AND CONSISTENT ADHERENCE TO THIS STANDARD:

WHEREAS: a world-wide representation of more than 750 piano technicians are
assembled in convention at Las Vegas, Nevada,  on July 23, 1986; and

WHEREAS: it has been brought to the attention of the convention that a
serious problem exists in connection with the inconsistencies of the pitch
level throughout the world, and

WHEREAS: a committee of the convention has explored the situation in great
depth and has unanimously recommended that the convention take action; and

WHEREAS: the stability and well-being of the concert piano is constantly
being threatened by the excessive pitch adjustments necessary to satisfy
various orchestras and performers; and

WHEREAS: other instruments and singers have problems because of these
excessive and frequent changes in pitch level;

BE IT THEREBY RESOLVED: that the Piano Technicians Guild, Inc., states that
the standard pitch of A-440  hertz as established in 1939 by international
agreement be consistently observed world-wide; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: that the Piano Technicians Guild shall cause this
resolution to be widely distributed throughout the world.