Reactionary curmudgeon vs: "snuggles"

BSimon999@AOL.COM BSimon999@AOL.COM
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 02:36:22 EDT

Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

<< given the fact that almost no one really learns in any
formal fashion just about anything about working on pianos.... and given the
fact
that the only control mechanism for overseeing professional standards is a
volunteer organization like the PTG and the like... what else can we expect.>>

The PTG has done vast amounts of good raising the competence level of piano
technicians and elevating the craft from a glorified hobby to a real
profession. I have seen a hundred examples of the butchery performed on
pianos by tuners decades ago, truly appalling. AND - they either didn't know
better or didn't care. Most of that is gone now, thanks to the efforts of the
PTG, but there is quite a bit left to do WITHOUT requiring mandatory
education and governmentally supervised examinations. I am opposed to
licensing piano technicians, primarily because it is governmental overkill
and if a technician screws up your piano you can sue him for damages. AND, it
isn't life or death, like medicine,

 HOWEVER,- I have never heard of a case where a representative from PTG went
into court to defend a customer's claims of inferior workmanship, and in
Phoenix there have been many instances where this would have been a godsend
to the customer. That PTG expert would be shot to pieces by defense counsel,
for PTG had no standards of practice. I seriously doubt that you could get
the PTG leadership to pass a resolution stating ONLY that "a properly tuned
piano should be tuned to A440 cps."

How on earth could you ever get agreement on equal temperament, or the beat
rate of octaves, or the efficacy of spraying an action with WD-40?

When all things are allowed, when anything you do is all right, there IS  NO
STANDARD! If there is no standard, then how can PTG raise standards of
practice?

Bill Simon
Phoenix