Reactionary curmudgeon vs: "snuggles"

BSimon999@AOL.COM BSimon999@AOL.COM
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 02:36:17 EDT

Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

<<some research has been done with fabric softeners... ... (felt is a
fabric)... It does work. But it has to be done right. Not just haphazardly. >>

Just my point. If research has been done, then what was determined to be the
"right" way? Does your tested fabric softener have the same ingredients as
"snuggles", or do the differing ingredients in "snuggles" later deteriorate
the felt, or the string at point of impact, does it corrode strings whereas
your fabric softener never would? I am not opposed to finding new solutions
to problems, I am opposed to pouring any old solution on something in a piano
just because someone else poured a different solution on something in a piano
and IT worked!

<<I don't understand why you want to make a statement as ludicrous as leaving
an action out in the rain to "fix" it. Where does that come from? >>

This comes from what I thought would  obviously  be taken as sarcasm. I have
had problems with sarcasm in the past  because so many of the list members
simply do not "get" it.  They often take the most ludicrous statements at
face value. YOU pointed out that;

<< As Roger said, some comments are made in jest, others as
more of a way of making fun at the whole profession.>>

If some people are unable to recognize sarcasm, then how will they recognize
the more subtle innuendoes of jest, which is a subform of sarcasm.  When
someone writes "Well, just spray the whole action with WD-40!" - some dumb
sot is going to take this for gospel because it was on the list, and do it!
Hence, my appeal for Standards Of Practice. Then the poor dumb sot could look
it up and find that spraying WD-40 on an action is NOT a good idea. ( Or has
someone on this list had good results spraying WD-40 on an action lately? -
THIS IS ACTUALLY A QUESTION, NOT REALLY SARCASM.)

I will try to provide a "Warning Label" statement of impending sarcasm in the
future, but it does seem to me like it would quite take the bite out of it. (
You know, - "Biting sarcasm"?)

<<Which is why there is the PTG.  To help each other find new solutions to
old
problems.>>

THAT, I did not know!

Bill Simon