Front rail punchings on tuning pins

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 23:37:22 EDT

In a message dated 8/28/00 5:21:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
istuner@islandia.is writes:

<< Hi guys and gals,

 I just tuned an old Hindsberg with relatively new strings.
 Someone had put front rail punchings on the tuning pin for the left string
 of every A.
 I´ve seen this before, and thought maybe, on some occasions this was left
 over from some old tech that wanted to mark excessively loose pin, or
 something.  There was, however, nothing wrong with the torque of any of
these.
 But why on all the A´s?

 Best regards,

 Kristinn Leifsson, >>

After stringing a piano, marking the A with a punching will help with the
chipping process.  I don't it myself, but I have heard of other doing it this
way. I guess the stringer just never bother removing the punchings.

Willem