key discoloration

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 23:05:44 PDT

I just had to get bad yellow out of the plastic keytops of a rental piano.
Of course, it took me almost to the end of the job to figure out how to do
it easily and
well  :-(

Simply swish on a lot of acetone with a chip brush until it is nice and soft
using the brush to clean off the top yellow layers, then wipe with a fine
grained (?!) rag soaked in the acetone until it is smooth.  Beautifully
white.  Too bad I spent several hours before I figured that out!

However, if I were  doing the job for a customer, I fully agree with Roger,
et.al. who say to replace them.

Diane