QUERY: gilding a plate

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:43:06 EDT

In a message dated 8/22/2000 9:54:56 PM, Terry F. wrote:

<<Either Mark Potter or Jim Bryant (???I think one of them???) told me that

they use bronzing powder in shellac with very good
results..........................
...........Jim, Mark, was it one of you???">>

Not I Mr T..........
 After my plate is ready for bronzing I spray it with a clear coat of thin
gloss laquer containing some little bit of retarder in it. I do this for two
reasons...first to soften the old finish somewhat thereby creating a better
purchase for the bronzing coats and second to seal off any stray 'dots' of
stuff that might cause the new bronze to turn greenish.  I use Mohawk
Bronzing powder in a thinnish laquer solution and spray light coats on the
plate until I like the way it looks........immediately after I spray the last
coat of Bronze I spray two coats of the Laquer/retarder mixture to seal the
Bronze coats from the atmosphere and to keep my grimy little hands from
touching the plate inadvertantly..........after the thingee is completely
dry, I do any highlighting, decal placing, string size numbering and reapply
the serial No.   ...I finish off with two coats of plain laquer for a decent
gloss and let the whole mess dry for at least 24 hours before I touch it
again.
NOTE..I do ALL my spraying of bronze outside, 'never' in the shop....as
someone said breathing bronze dust particles is not conducive to good
health..........besides it is awful hard to get all those little gold specks
out of a black finish...  :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)