QUERY: gilding a plate

Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:54:33 -0400

Paul and Terry -

It was me who recommended you try shellac.  I use lacquer, but you
(Terry)had expressed an aversion to using such a strong solvent, and were
not having any luck using the Waterborne coatings.   I have never done an
entire plate with shellac as the only finish, but have many times sprayed
shellac with bronze powder onto problem areas (fish eyes) between coats
of lacquer, when necessary, with no problems in application at all.  Like
Paul, I commonly begin with a barrier coat of "unbronzed" shellac to
minimize problems with fish eyes.

As I mentioned before, I would see a problem keeping a wet edge long
enough to do a whole plate with shellac as the only finish, and had
recommended getting an additive called "shellac-wet" from Homesteading
Finishing to help with this problem.  I have heard that there are soon to
be a few products that can be added to shellac to serve as a crosslinker
of sorts, making it a much more durable finish without negating it's
wonderful attributes.  We will see.

I have used waterbased finishes exclusively on piano cases for probably 8
years now, but for the plates, for me.....lacquer is still King.

Yeah, it's smelly, but only for a couple hours.  Good time to go for a
walk and smell the roses.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com